My colleague Hadrian did a webinar about camel some time ago. The example reads an xml file, parses it, does a choice using xpath and then
writes a file again. Should be quite what you try to achieve:

http://www.talend.com/webinar/archive/index.php
Look for Application Integration / Apache Camel Fundamentals Part 1

The complete source of the example is available from my github account:
https://github.com/cschneider/camel-webinar/tree/master/part1/camel-example2-java

You can just copy that and use it as a starting point.

What the example does not show so much is how parsing the xml works as this is quite hidden in camel. If you can tell me what you want to do with the parsed xml I can perhaps give you some more hints how to achieve it.

Christian