Hi

You can use in-memory only communication across JVMs such as hazelcast

Jean wrote a blog about this
http://blog.nanthrax.net/2012/02/communication-between-two-remote-camel-routes-using-karaf-cellar/

There is also DOSGi - distributed osgi. But that of course requires OSGi.

There is a really fast implementation in Fuse Fabric:
http://gnodet.blogspot.se/2011/06/distributed-osgi-in-fabric.html

And I think there is a DOSGi implementation in Apache CXF.

And speaking of Fuse Fabric, then it will offer more easy to
configure, manage, clusters of JVMs.
Which discovery and failover, and all the stuff like that.
https://github.com/fusesource/fuse

At Apache we have many links to various blogs and articles, there is
some great ones among them.
http://camel.apache.org/articles