I think I may have found the answer, so please correct me if I am wrong.
Should I register a bean definition created from the codec instance into the
context, and then refer to it by the name it is registered under?  Something
like:

DefaultListableBeanFactory beanFactory = (DefaultListableBeanFactory)
applicationContext.getBeanFactory();
beanFactory.registerBeanDefinition("myCodec",
BeanDefinitionBuilder.rootBeanDefinition(MyCodec.class.getName()).getBeanDefinition());

Then, I would create my URI like:
"mina:tcp://localhost:18001?codec=#myCodec" if I understand correctly.