Just for fun (and learning by doing), I have written a Salesforce component
for Apache Camel. It is not feature-complete, just some methods of the
Salesforce API are supported.

There are two alternatives for communicating with Salesforce:

1) Use Java API (this is what it did for my component): My favorite, but the
user has to create a company-specific WSDL file and generate Java classes.
See
http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/Content/sforce_api_quickstart_steps.htm

2) Use REST API: Do simple HTTP(S) calls.

IMO, using Java API is much more comfortable for development. However, I
think it is ugly and a no-go that every user of the salesforce component has
to create its own classes ?! If I write a component which should be added to
an upcoming Camel release, then I have to use REST API, right?
What API / Library do you have to use for doing REST calls from a Java
component?

-----
 Best regards,
    Kai Wähner