I have done this before, it may take me a bit to find the code.  I think
you accomplish it by doing the following:

1.  Override the from(String) method in RouteBuilder
2.  Use getContext().getEndpoint(uri) to get the endpoint, if the endpoint
is not a scheduledpollingendpoint then do super.from(uri) otherwise continue
3.  create a wrapping endpoint and wrapping consumer to wrap a scheduled
endpoint and a scheduled polling consumer

   - for the doStart method of the wrapping consumer call
   wrappedConsumer.run(), this will do only one poll and the doStart will not
   end till the poll is done

4.  return super.from(wrappedEndpoint) in the overridden method

If I remember right, I think there are some issues if the wrapped consumer
is a RemoteFileConsumer, but this works pretty well.  I will try to put
this together in a groovy class soon to help you out.