Could you have a look at [1]? There are many tests which make sure it works.
And if it doesn't work for you, could you please attach a test which
indicate this. With a test it's much more easier for us to check what's
going wrong - in your code or in Camel. And at the end, you will have a
solution in a shorter time.

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/camel/trunk/camel-core/src/test/java/org/apache/camel/processor/onexception/

Best,