Thanks for the reply.
Is there a reason why one should not block on an EJB for that long? Idea for
the async processing is great but then again I will have to introduce some
kind of mechanism to wait till the processor is done to invoke the next
processor in the route. There are processors which are before the EJB (such
as XML validation etc) and processors which are after the EJB processors
(e.g. other EJBs, FTP producer etc.) Synchronous (single threaded model)
really suits my application.

I am contemplating the following,
1. Subclassing the DefaultShutdownStrategy and just before calling
super.doShutdown() remove all exchanges belonging to this route from the
repository.
2. The defaultShutdownstrategy would then stop my ejb consumer. (What
happens to the Timer thread which is running that consumer is yet to be
determined; I am hoping the thread is unaffected).

-v-