Camel currently is essentially stateless. You can achieve what you want, but you'd have to implement it yourself. Something along the lines you mentioned.

We are however planning to have support for persistence at a core level in 3.0. Christian Ohr added some details about that on the 3.0 ideas page [1] (near the bottom of the page).

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/Camel+3.0+-+Ideas

Cheers
Hadrian