camel-twitter is leveraging the twitter4j. Here the instruction of setting the
proxy from twitter4j FAQ[1].

You can either to use system properties(-Dtwitter4j.http.proxyHost,
-Dtwitter4j.http.proxyPort) or twitter4j.properties.
http.proxyHost=your.proxy.host http.proxyPort=8080
twitter4j.properties can to be located in the root of your app's classpath, in
WEB-INF/ directory, or in the process's default directory.

[1]http://twitter4j.org/en/faq.html

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.