Well, another thing you could look into is using a custom
ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor for the throttler. You could use a
BlockingQueue with a specific size (10 in your case), and any others that
tried to get scheduled would through an exception. Then in the throttler
config you would set 'callerRunsWhenRejected' == false so that an exception
is thrown.

Take a look here for setting your own custom queue for the
ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13514441/scheduledthreadpoolexecutors-and-custom-queue

And take a look here for setting custom executor service for the throttler:
http://camel.apache.org/threading-model.html

HTH