Ed and I had a presentation at OSEHRA last week showing (among other things) how to use HL7 with Mirth and Camel. It's a bit tricky. As other said the camel-hl7 component is based on the hapi api with supports the version 2.x of HL7 wich is an EDI format, not xml.

Afaik, most of the industry is on hl7 2.x with no clear plans to transition to 3.x. And here lies the Camel opportunity to provide some value added, transformation, validation, etc.

If you could share more about what you're trying to do, I may be able to help you more.

Cheers,
Hadrian