Yes using properties is very seldom used. Only body + header is part
of the actual message content. properties is not part of that but for
any arbitrary data / internal for Camel / or some meta-data from the
EIPs such as the splitter setting information about current index +
total number of entries being splitted etc.

You can use send(endpoint, processor) or send(endpoint, exchange) to
send where you can add the headers/properties/body beforehand or using
the processor.

There is also an ExchangeBuilder for building the exchange using a
fluent builder style.

And in the future likely a builder style for the producer template as well.