Hi Gordon,

> Subscribe to websocket queue and retrieve json from the queue
> process each json thru Camel routes (atomically)
> assume large amount of data

You can achieve it with Camel alone or with Camel as the endpoint
point [1] delegating processing to the Akka.

> What would the appropriate design as far as fail over/
> dristributed/threading is concerned?

This is pretty wide question ;) Both Akka and Camel offers solutions
in this area.

> I am concerned that since Camel is single threaded(?) that we will not be
> able to process a huge amount of data in a timely fashion.

Camel can be multi-threaded and asynchronous [2] and will definitely
deal with the high message load :) .

> What have your experiences been?
> Is Akka a good choice? Any other options?

Have you considered using Vert.x?

Cheers.

[1] http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/snapshot/scala/camel.html
[2] http://camel.apache.org/async.html