After further findings, it turns out that the route policy is respected.  The
reason I thought it wasn't is because the route is not stopped on the
non-master servers until the first time the ftp consumer actually finds a
qualifying file to download. I was seeing logging from my filter code
running on all servers which led me to believe that the routes were actually
running on all servers.  Once there is a qualifying file present, the route
actually runs and fails on all servers except the one to get the zookeeper
lock. The route is then stopped on all servers except the master and after
that, the filter logging only appears on the master.