Cleocleo, thank you so much for de-mystifying this one for me!! I had looked
at some of that code before, but missed, or misunderstood, the filtering
pattern part. Once I added my custom header, it works as I would expect and
I can see messages in the queue with the Message Attribute Value I defined.

Now, I have to work on the code to get them back out again and read said
MAV. The documentation seems to indicate that the Camel header will be put
back when messages are read out and I should be able to retrieve it from
that - we shall see.

Again, thank you very much for the assistance.