@souciance

"for simple development and POC you should use the standard log4j" -
not exactly. log4j(1) is quite old logging implementation. In your
code you should use slf4j-api - it's what Camel uses:

[INFO] +- org.apache.camel:camel-core:jar:2.15.1.redhat-620133:compile
[INFO] |  +- org.slf4j:slf4j-api:jar:1.6.6:compile

And this downloading of log4j was probably (as Claus said) from one of
Maven plugins.

regards
Grzegorz