Thank you very much for your quick help, Sergey!
I tried your solution and now get the following exception:

[Camel (rraaCamelContext) thread #2 - seda://from_rraa] ERROR
org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.JAXRSUtils - No message body reader has been found
for class my.class.path.CrewServiceDeniedError, ContentType: application/json

The code I have is:

        InvocationTargetException exception =
exchange.getProperty(Exchange.EXCEPTION_CAUGHT,
InvocationTargetException.class);
        NotFoundException orig = (NotFoundException)(exception.getCause());
        CrewServiceDeniedError err =
orig.getResponse().readEntity(CrewServiceDeniedError.class);

I created this class for the payload:

public class CrewServiceDeniedError {

    private String employeeID;
    private String reason;