After some more digging, here's what I found.

Invoking stop() on camel context shuts down all routes gracefully as per the
log, but two problems I'm seeing after routes are shut down is (I believe)
the cause for JVM not shutting down:

#1) ActiveMQ connection remains open

#2) AbstractInactivityMonitor is constantly checking every 10s

We use Springboot config for ActiveMQ instead of the typical <bean> config:

#application.properties
spring.activemq.broker-url=tcp://amq1:61107
spring.activemq.user=amq
spring.activemq.password=xxx1
spring.activemq.pooled=true

And our camel route config, just a short sample, but key point: no JMS
connection pool info defined here:

  <route autoStartup="true"
            id="readFromQueueThenTODb">
        <from uri="activemq:queue:fromTheForce"/>
  </route>

I'm not sure why the activemq connection is not closing, is there anything
wrong with this config that causing the inability to not shut down cleanly?