I have looked at the code in org.apache.camel.core.osgi.OsgiServiceRegistry
(camel-core-osgi-2.15.4) and it appears to cache the service references.
This means that if I uninstall/install the bundle supplying the service it
wont automagically 'pick up' the new service.

For what reason(s) are the service references cached?

Note - after modifying OsgiServiceRegistry and removing the cache a new
service is picked up and behaves more like I would expect in a dynamic OSGi
environment.