Hello,
I started learning Camel from scratch about two years ago and read "Camel as
action" at the beginning. I can confirm that "Camel in Action" offers still
a very good point to start. I knew nothing about Camel or EIPs in general
and just bought the book to see if Camel could provide some nice features
for the application I was going to build (and yes, it could indeed :)).

The book has a very clear didactic & straight-forward approach. Most of the
described topics stayed the same, more or less - if you develop a Camel
application, you may want to use the Camel website as your main reference,
because you often need very special endpoints/properties/features that
aren't documented in the book or where replaced by more flexible ones. But
to understand the basic idea behind camel, to understand what is good
practice (and what isn't), the book's  perfect.

Joerg