Owain,

That's why my preference would be to use the chron job he mentioned and
just check my own timestamp in millis in a header or even putting the items
in a map and putting that on the queue.  The map would have number of
retries, timestamp, and the actual data model he's working with.  That
would keep it relatively simple and performant if not the most elegant
solution on the planet.