Hi,
thanks a lot, Fabry and Omar! Storing the password in a Properties file helps,
I just tested with a really contrived example "++pwd2&)more)&}&}" and it worked.
I hadn't tried that before because the explanations for using RAW in properties
files put me off:

> Notice we still define the RAW(value) style to ensure the password is used as
> is[...]
https://camel.apache.org/manual/latest/faq/how-do-i-configure-endpoints.html#HowdoIconfigureendpoints-Configuringparametervaluesusingrawvalues

We haven't used the properties mechanism before and storing them in a file
might be problematic, but I think I've read that there are other options for
providing properties as well.
I'll read up on that; your suggestions definitely helped, thanks!

Best regards,
Florian