>From personal experience any activities related to file component tend to
try to load entire file into memory. You could perhaps fiddle around by
converting it to an input stream but then you get into an issue of making
sure that you don't read an entire file into memory before actually
converting it.

I'd suggest avoiding using camel here at all for the sake of retaining fine
grained control over streaming process. At most you could wrap it in a
processor and be done with it. Otherwise you'll start programming with
routes, which is something you'd want to avoid.