I've never set the message key.  I might give that a shot.

The route is pretty simple. And the only headers being set are the
partition key and another string value i need to be passed. The body is
JSON.
I am running Kafka locally (so whatever partitions is the default) and AWS
MSK -  2 partitions.

Mark