Hello.

Yes, some kind of process to select what component live or die is a good idea. In the case of beanio, I'm almost sure that many IT teams still use it for customers that need its features. Even if old fixed length formats seem to be obsolete today, retail companies (and more) like our current customer use them for exchanging data between the back-office systems of their own entities , point of sales logistic, partners and suppliers, transport or government, etc... When a possibility exists to use alternative "modern" formats (XML for example), new schemas are defined. But in many cases I bet that some of the oldest plain text definitions will stay for many years, since no functional change is needed, and thus no reason exist to spend time and money updating legacy software in all the "business galaxy"... From my point of view this is where we can see that features are "dead" or not, and not only listing commits 😉! We notice the same for IT languages in this world where C or COBOL are probably more present than Java, that many already say "old" (not dead yet)... I've been using Camel itself for many years, especially with ServiceMix as our ESB platform : is Camel still young, or mature, or ... ?

Back to camel-beanio : I've not found detailed documentation about SPI and integration contracts for data formats : even if I think it's going to be difficult for us to assume such a work, I'd like to estimate the workload to get it back as is, with a correct integration in our DSLs (mostly blueprint, and Java), test framework, etc. Some nice link about that ?

Thanks again.

Regards.

Ephemeris Lappis