On 26/04/13 7:17 AM, "Carlos Reategui" <car...@reategui.com> wrote:

>I am re-doing my setup and looking for advice.
>
>This cluster is primarily going to be used by a dev and qa team
>internally.
> We would like to have ELB capability though.
>
>Storage for primary and secondary are NFS and will be on management
>server.
> Here is my setup:
>
>Network:
>- switch 1 isolated from the rest of the network: 192.168.200.0/24
>- switch 2 has route to our office network: 192.168.10.0/24
>
>Management/storage server has:
>2 x 10Gbe connected to switch 1
>2 x 1Gbe connected to switch 2
>
>Hosts - running XS 6.0.2
>4 x 1Gbe on switch 1
>4 x 1Gbe on switch 2
>I can re-wire these.
>
>My thought was to use Basic network setup and have 2 bonds (of 4 nics
>each)
>on the hosts. One for primary storage and the other bond would be the
>management network (and guest and secondary storage traffic).
>
>Security is not really an issue so if there is a setup option that would
>keep things simple I am all ears.

Couple of more details would help. So your primary use case is to provide
a cloud for DevOps right? What is that your use-case of using ELB? At
present in basic zone network services EIP & ELB are only available
through the NetScaler. If you want CloudStack to provision network
services static NAT (with EIP) and LB (with ELB) in basic zone then you
will have to use NetScaler.

>Using XS my understanding is I need to change it to bridge networking
>instead of ovs.  I'm also assuming I still setup the bonds using xe (they
>seem to default to slb).  Is it possible to use LACP?  XS 6.0.2 does not
>support LACP but since I will using bridge networking I'm wondering if it
>might.  Should the bonds have specific names or be labeled something
>specific?

If security is not a concern and does not want security groups in basic
zone, then you could still use OVS.

>Would I be better off having a separate management network from the guest
>network?  I.e. separating out that bond into 2 bonds?  I'm assuming that
>would require setting up a vlan.  Would I need to use advanced network
>too?
> I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to networks.

In general you can do NIC bonding, traffic (guest,storage,management)
isolation is both advanced and basic zones. But if you want CloudStack to
orchestrate and provide network services (static/source NAT, PF, lb etc)
in self-service manner using virtual router then you can opt for advanced
zone. But downside of advanced zone is you will have to deal with VLAN's.
If network services are not important or you can provision network
services outside of CloudStack then basic-zone is the simplest deployment
model that that you should be using.