Hi Seb,

On 26-Apr-2013, at 8:50 PM, Sebastien Goasguen
<run...@gmail.com<mailto:run...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

I started an Ubuntu 12.04 server instance using an ISO, on CS 4.0.2 using KVM
hypervisor.

I tried to generate a template. I stopped the instance and through the UI
clicked on the 'generate a template" icon. Ubuntu12.04 is not an available OS
choice, so I chose Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit.

It was successful, so it seemed.

Then I tried to start another instance using this newly created template and it
failed (only error via the UI said "Deployment error").

I also tried by creating a snapshot and creating the template from the
snapshot, same issue, the instance creation failed.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong or how to solve it since I don't have
access to the CS mgt server logs.

I ran into a similar symptom with XenServer 6.0.2 and Ubuntu 12.04. I *think*
what was happening was this:

When you choose a "nearest" match from the OS type for a template, the
XenServer tries to apply its pre-configured kernel boot up rules using PyGrub
on the default kernel. I suppose the intention is to start the template in a
Xen PV environment.

Maybe KVM also tries to do some boot up kungfu and treats a 12.04 kernel as a
10.04 kernel.

The same template boots up just fine on VMware FWIW. :)

thoughts ?

-Sebastien

--
Shanker Balan
Managing Consultant

[cid:E7CE8425-E245-4C99-B967-713DF2967392@local]

M: +91 98860 60539
shanker.ba...@shapeblue.com<mailto:shanker.ba...@shapeblue.com> |
www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com> | Twitter:@shapeblue
ShapeBlue India, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre, Bangalore - 560 055

intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company
incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under
license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.