Not sure they're explained anywhere greatly, but basically they are just
the mail settings for sending alerts mails, host down, management server
up, various other errors.

If you have a mail reply server setup then you only need to specify the
alert.smtp.host.
If you require authentication to use said mail server then you need to set
alert.smtp.useAuth to True and fill out the alert.smtp.username and
.password.
The alert.smtp.port is the port. Most of the time that will be 25. The
default 465 is often used for authentication-less relay servers.

Here's some sample values from my database:

mysql> select name,value,description from configuration where name like
'alert.smtp%' \G
       name: alert.smtp.host
      value: mail.smtpserver.com
*************************** 2. row ***************************