From: Nordgren, Bryce L -FS [mailto:bnordg...@fs.fed.us]
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 3:53 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Networking config question

Hi.

I'm trying to get my head around provisioning a cluster in cloudstack
4.0.2...specifically issues surrounding networking. I have been looking for a
good tutorial, but have not googled my way into one yet.

My config is very very simple: one management server and one host. I have two
physical networks: "public" and "private". Cloudstack "public" traffic is the
only thing on my public network, all other cloudstack traffic is confined to
the private network. While I intend to grow this setup, I do not envision that
the essential networking situation will change.

The system is managed via the StackIQ Rocks+Cloud roll.  The eth0 NICs are
configured as the private network 10.1.4.0/23, having their own superdumb GigE
switch. The eth1 NICs form the "public" network 192.168.56.0/24 and are plugged
into the University managed switches. This isn't really "public", but I can get
to them from the University network. I've been allocated a block of 50 IPs on
this University-public network. The management server (10.1.4.1) also serves
DNS for the private network, and serves as a gateway to the public world.

I'm having problems getting all four cloudstack traffic types to coexist on
these two networks.

The Zone's Guest CIDR is 10.1.4.0/23. The GUI is returning an error when
launching my config ("The subnet of the pod you are adding conflicts with the
subnet of the Guest IP Network"). The pod was given 10.1.4.0/23 also, with the
reserved system IPs of 10.1.4.10-10.1.4.20. Storage traffic, similarly, has
been dispatched to the private network with IPs of 10.1.4.40-10.1.4.50. It
hasn't complained about this yet, but it might be waiting.

My question is either: "What did I do wrong, above?" or "What is the preferred
method of assigning storage, guest, and management traffic to a private network
and public traffic to a public network (e.g., what numbers go where in the
provisioning process?)"

Thanks in advance,
Bryce

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for
the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the
use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and
immediately.