Yes, you do need to upgrade your system VMS, and you should also have a new
systemvm.iso that was bundled in the cloudstack-common deb file that would
have been installed as an upgrade on your KVM hosts. I also feel that the
documentation of system vm upgrade is lacking. The only place I know if is
in the release notes:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.0/html-single/Release_Notes/index.html,
see 3.1 "Upgrade Instructions", item 12. It references a script
"cloudstack-sysvmadm", but the upgrade of the system vm template should be
done beforehand.  Now look at the section just below, 3.2. This
documentation is obviously messed up because it first says "this applies
only to VMware", and then it promptly gives system vm upgrade instructions
for XenServer, KVM, and VMWare hosts.  It's unclear why this system vm
upgrade would only apply to zones which had VMware hosts, and why these
instructions aren't also on the 4.1.x to 4.2.x instructions. At any rate,
the system vm instuctions there for KVM should apply. Register the template
(optionally, check the data base to ensure the template is set as system
type), then restart the system vms per the item 12 script. If your KVM
hosts relaunch the system vms per the new template and they have the new
systemvm.iso, they should work.