On 11.11.2013 16:24, Vahric Muhtaryan wrote:
Hello All ,

Sorry for this stupid question but i really wonder why KVM is used or trying to use as a hypervisor option. (Sorry for out of scope of this list) but try to learn people understandings, also i do not want to say do not use it :D
Mostly third party supported hypervisor is vmware
XenServer and Hyper-v is i guess mostly third party supported hypervisors
Then i can see the KVM , because of mostly IBM focus on it

My point of view ;
Using iscsi, FC is a problem because need shared mount point
No internal DRS or WLB or kind of distributing algorithm.
Backup , no any 3th party software i know support KVM
If we start to talk about Disaster Recovery finding solution should be very
hard
If its free Citrix XenServer is free

I¹m confusing when i think all , i don¹t know any performance pluses then
the other hypervisors but i don¹t know how to compare it with all such
parameters
Of course every people have their own ideas but could you pls share it to
understand better.

Regards
VM

There are many advantages to using KVM. Think of it like the Linux of the virtualisation world. Start learning it, fast. :)

The main reason I like it is that it comes bundled with the linux kernel, as such I can just keep running my favourite linux distro that I know and trust and which can do more than a minimal management layer.

Need to run a VM on the same box with a CPanel? Done,just yum install it. Need to test something in a VM on your PXE deployment box? Done, yum install it. On an ARM server? Done. Need to run NFS server, cloudstack management server, mysql server and hypervisor on the same box? Done. :)

It's very flexible, "geeky" and it's a bit DIY, most sysadmins I know love this part of it and it has turned out a great success.

It's simple, it doesn't try to do too much, it's a hypervisor and that's what it does, the rest is done by hand or through libvirt.

It has no Windows management interfaces (so "IT managers" stay away), though Cloudstack helps in this case. :)

It's free and open source, which is amazing really.

It comes with a nice VNC replacement (http://www.spice-space.org/) that is also free and open source (and supported in other "stacks").

It can talk to a lot of block device stuff (CEPH, GlusterFS, iSCSI, Sheepdog etc etc) and I bet it will be the first to support whatever new (open source) technology comes along.

It's from RedHat (yeah, I know) which has a really good karma considering.

etc etc

Nux!
www.nux.ro