So, all of these issues seemed to go away with an upgrade to 4.2.1. I found
a similar case someone had and upgrading to 4.2.1 resolved it for them.
Luckily, it did for me as well. If anyone wants the logs, let me know. I
expired the previous links.

The only other thing I can't seem to fix are some UI issues. The regions
icon on the navigation pane is missing along with the region logo by the
log in/log out drop-down. The CSS is right, the sprites.png is there as
well. I compared them to a recent install on a different instance and
nothing looks noticeably different. Any ideas?