Hello,

I am interested to know what everyone is using to provide disaster recovery
for VMs running in CloudStack?

Note, I am talking about true DR to another data center, not HA.  I have
seen the previous thread where someone asked about DR, but the answer
provided only talked about HA of VMs within the same Cluster or Zone.  This
is not my question.

I am looking for a method to maintain an up-to-date copy of a running VM,
including its data, in another Zone or Region, such that if the first Zone
is destroyed, the VM can be brought up in the other Zone and continue
production.

Before cloud, DR for virtualized environments was typically handled using
SAN replication.  The VMs would be quiesced and snapshotted at regular
intervals (e.g. hourly), and the SAN LUNs would be continuously replicated
asynchronously.  Following this approach, if the primary site was
destroyed, the SAN LUNs would be enabled for read-write at the secondary
location, and the VMs could then be started there, using the last
successful snapshot (the last consistency point).

I have looked at what Amazon and Rackspace provide for their Clouds, and
the approach seems to be user-initiated quiesced cloud snapshots, combined
with Secondary Storage that is automatically replicated and available
throughout their Clouds.  Therefore, if the site where the VM is running
gets destroyed, the latest VM snapshot can be deployed from Secondary
Storage to any other Zone.

I would like to know if anybody has experience/insights using this approach
on CloudStack, particularly using XenServer hosts.

Is there a mechanism available for end-users to create quiesced CloudStack
snapshots of running production VMs, such that applications and filesystems
are put into a consistent state prior to the snapshot being created?

Also, can anybody offer insight into how to automatically or continuously
replicate Secondary Storage across Zones or Regions, using NFS-based
Secondary Storage (not object storage), such that CloudStack users will see
any be able to deploy their Snapshots in any other Zone or Region?

If what I am describing is not yet possible with CloudStack, I would be
like to be pointed towards the part of the CloudStack roadmap that
discusses the planned architecture.

Thanks,
JJ