It is well and good to say that this feature will not be developed - but
100% of our customers are asking us for this kind of functionality. Most
of our customers are traditional enterprises who who have invested vast
sums of money on SAN/NAS environments, and they typically run large VMware
farms. Today they are able to implement a DR Solution by using
SAN/Hypervisor replication and automation tools such as VMWare SRM. This
typically works very well (at a cost), considering some of our customers
have over 800 applications in their portfolio.

Most, if not all of our customers run very traditional, vertically scaling
applications that are central to their business. Assuming they are going
to re-write their very complex and expensive application stack so that
they can leverage cloud technologies is a flawed argument. The cost of
such an exercise may run into the 10¹s of millions for some organisations.

In any case, I really hope this feature is developed. Without it,
Cloudstack (and other cloud platforms) will make limited headway into risk
adverse enterprise accounts who have had this capability for many years.
Although I fundamentally agree that to really harness the power of cloud,
your applications should be Œcloud native¹, I also think that cloud
platforms should be flexible enough to cater for traditional workloads and
not doing so it a major inhibitor to cloud adoption for enterprises.

Simon Murphy
Solutions Architect

ViFX | Cloud Infrastructure