On 28.03.2014 15:33, Talk Jesus wrote:
One more shot.how's the below for a decent, initial CS setup?

Server #1
Purpose: CloudStack Control Panel Install (Management Server)
Qty: 1
VM Machine (one production, one backup/HA)
Cores: about 2-4
4GB RAM

It's good; do note you can use both at the same time if you want, just put a load balancer in front of them.

Server #2
Purpose: HV (CPU + Memory + Storage)
Qty: 1 plus 1 for failover (HA)
Dual Hexacore CPUs
128GB RAM
12 x 2TB SAS (or 6x1TB SSD) RAID10

Played with both SAS and SSD recently, SSD is just so much snappier go for it if you can afford it.

Server #3
Purpose: Backup (NAS)
Qty: 1
Dual Quad Core CPUs
16GB RAM
12 x 2TB SATA RAID10

Question: for server #2 (HV), the CPU example is 24 Cores total. So,
technically speaking I can offer a max of 6 VM's with 4 CPU cores allowanced
to each one, correct? Does CS allow "overselling" by any means on
CPU/Memory?

You can oversell CPU massively, everyone does, disk and memory are usually the bottlenecks. Overselling memory is trickier, if you want to sell VPS/public cloud I'd advise against it, memory is reasonably cheap.

Am I missing anything from above initial hardware setup?

The network is a very important bit of the setup. Make sure you have quality equipment and redundancy, there's a saying: "your cloud is as good as your network". Ideally you should have separate and redundant (bonded) links for management, secondary storage and Internet uplink (public).

Anyone have any high availability (HA) setup recommendations for all 3
servers? I mean does CS have an HA config option within its own management console or is HA something done manually outside the CS software, but within
the o/s on the nodes?

Cloudstack can and will perform HA if so instructed, it's "built-in", you don't need to configure anything special in the HV.
HA requires:
- service offerings with "HA" enabled
- shared storage for the above offerings, HA is not possible with local storage

Good luck!

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro