Thanks Geoff,

that's very helpful clarification.

The documentation on VM snapshots gives mixed messages. The CS
documentation is non-committal about how snapshots should be used (and
maybe it should be non-committal). The VMware documentation is very
enthusiastic about the coolness of using 'snapshot chains' while at the
same time pointing out all the things which can go wrong.

My company has recently started to use CS to provide an IaaS platform to
customers, and we find that they are attracted to VM snapshots because
they are incremental, whereas there is limited possibility for
incremental snapshots of volumes (we have only implemented CS with ESXi
at the moment, which I understand does not support incremental). There
are customers whose backup policy is to keep a daily backup of volumes
for the last 30 days, so they are looking at significant storage costs
for non-incremental snapshots. (Perhaps, we should educate them towards
a smarter backup policy, but that is easier said than done.)

Phillip