Hi,

During CCCEU14 conference and over emails, I spoke with many CloudStack users
and I think most of us would like to have and use LTS releases. I propose that;

- We encourage a habit to backport a bugfix to all qualifying branches whether
or not those branches are LTS
- We contribute (unit, integration) tests on LTS branches as well on other
qualifying branches
- We put correct affect version and fix version on JIRA so issues that should
be backported to a branch are identified
- We adapt the LTS release model from Fedora/Ubuntu projects. Please share
ideas, comments?
- We officially recognize a LTS release branch, say 4.3 now and everyone helps
to maintain it, backport bugfixes etc.
- Until a next latest stable release is published that we all mutually agree,
we keep working on the LTS branch. After say we have a stable 4.5.0 or 4.5.1
release, we can agree to recognize 4.5 as our next LTS branch and work on it.

Having a robust product release means we all (developers, users, sysadmins, ops
etc.) can save time consumed on firefighting a CloudStack cloud. Having a LTS
branch and releases will get us there because on a LTS release/support branch
we don’t do feature work at all and we only invest time to do bugfixing etc.

ShapeBlue is already serving their customers with product patching service and
using our own packages hosting (http://shapeblue.com/packages) we publish
patches on the “main” repository for everyone. We also publish details of the
patch we publish on our Github wiki, such as this example;
https://github.com/shapeblue/cloudstack/wiki/Release-Notes:-ACS-4.4.1-ShapeBlue-Patch01
We’ve recently started putting patches and release notes publicly (rather than
just using emails) so you’ll see more of these in future. When we make patches
we push the changes to upstream branches as well, in fact we fix on upstream
first.

In our experience the 4.3.x releases are most stable and so we’re backporting
bugfixes from 4.4/4.5/master. I’m personally going through a list of JIRA
issues which has affect version 4.3.0 and/or 4.3.1 but the bugfix either does
not exist or exists in a non-4.3 branch.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com

CloudStack Software
CloudStack Infrastructure
Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>

intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company
incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company
incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape
Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is
operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company
registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from