On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:32 PM, Andrei Mikhailovsky <and...@arhont.com> wrote:

> I think i've made some progress with user_data. I've used the template
> example for coreos and clodstack (as previously described here). This should
> successfully create a coreos instance with the ssh keys that you've supplied
> when creating an instance (using cloudmonkey or api).

Hi Andrei, it works like for any template/VM.

> You can supply user_data when creating an instance (again, cloudmonkey or
> api) or alternatively, you can modify the db directly and update the
> user_data column in the user_vm table.

Yikes :) never touch the db for things like this Cloudmonkey or any API client
is your friend (libcloud, jclouds, CS).

For libcloud check:
http://docs.libcloud.apache.org/en/latest/compute/drivers/cloudstack.html

And here is a good example that I wrote for coreOS user data:
https://github.com/runseb/kubernetes-exoscale/blob/master/deploy/etcd.py

libcloud takes care of the base64 encoding.

There is also CS which works very well, but you have to code more:
https://github.com/exoscale/cs

In my ansible-kubernetes recipes I pass user-data to coreOS:
https://github.com/runseb/ansible-kubernetes

underlyingly the ansible cloudstack module uses the python cs package.

> The user_data should be base64 encoded. Here is an example that i've used to
> get etcd and fleet started at boot:
>

> #cloud-config
>
> coreos:
> units:
>
> - name: etcd.service
> command: start
> - name: fleet.service
> command: start
>
> etcd:
> name: <server-name>
> discovery: https://discovery.etcd.io/<token>
> addr: <private_ip>:4001
> peer-addr: <private_ip>:7001
>
> You need to change the values between <> to suite your environment.
>
> I've read that there should be variable $private_ipv4 to automatically inject
> your private IP, however, it doesn't seem to work for some reason. Will need
> to investigate further

try with $public_ipv4