I'm largely in agreement with Adrian on this.

I think we all understand that the members of the community are largely driven
by some form of self-interest, individuals are paid to develop feature x
because their company want it enough or they do it because they want to and
their company has given them freedom to do a certain amount of stuff for the
sheer hell of it.

The projects' users' challenge is to find a way to incentivise some developers
to develop the features which the users want to see.  If the user base can
demonstrate that enough of them want a feature then the case is already made
that it is a real need.

So I am all for the 'users' banding together, forming special interest groups
and writing design specs, even having their own mini votes on things.  We can't
hope to get anything written  without solid requirements in the first place.
That has to be the first step.

And if anyone has any ideas about a mechanism to incentivise the development of
the features I'm all ears.

[Power to the people]

Regards

Paul Angus
Cloud Architect
S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447711418784 | T: CloudyAngus
paul.an...@shapeblue.com