Typically, an upgrade from within the 4.x stream *should* not be too
painful. Obviously apply due diligence and read release notes, test in a
lab when possible, etc to all the obvious pre-check/validation you would do
for more other systems you upgrade.

An upgrade can potentially consist of making some DB changes/tweaks,
upgrade existing packages installed on the managers, as well as the system
ISO used for console, system, virtual routers.

The VM's that are running at the time keep running and should only get
grumpy when their virtual router disappears for a while. The more VR's you
have, the longer this process takes.

Anyhoot, this is a very brief response since I am as tired as a stinky
rotten banana.

Point being, create a similar environment, test the upgrade there. When
ready for the real thing back everything up 9000 times, do one more backup,
and then let 'er rip.

HTH. Good luck.

(I am sure that tones of people on this list can share their experiences
too.. bribe them with Justin Bieber photo's or something...)