From: Ian Service <iserv...@ts2.ca>
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2015 17:09
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Recover from outage

My management server became disconnected from one of the clusters it
manages yesterday evening.  I stopped the cloudstack-management process
because in the past this has wreaked havoc on that cluster, restarting
networks, bringing them up on different VLANs, causing unnecessary reboots
on instances, etc.

The database now shows most of the vm_instances as Stopped, even though
they are still very much running in XenCenter.

To get things back up and running, what's the recommended procedure to
avoid the unnecessary outages that CloudStack has caused me in the past?

If I simply start up cloudstack-management will it assess the currently
running machines or try to start them all again because the database says
they're stopped?

If I update the database to set each machine that's actually running as
Running and update host_id=last_host_id (as it appears to be null'd) would
that make CloudStack just check that they're still running and move on?

Any assistance/suggestions you can provide would be fantastic.

Thanks,

- Ian