Andrei,

Actually I just deployed a Windows VM and upon connecting to it via RDP, it
will use whatever resolution I tell it to (eg xfreerdp -g 1600x900); I'm sure
the Windows/Mac RDP client allows for this, too.

I have not tried NoMachine or TeamViewer, RDP is your best bet.

The console will allow me (windows 2012r2 guest) to set 1024x768 or 1280x1024
(best).

I think "vga -std" might help with this. Why not submit a feature request?

Nux!
www.nux.ro