Some more considerations:

How much free CPU, memory resources are available on your remaining hypervisors
?  If your XenServer pool resource usages are near to their maximum limits,
putting one hypervisor into maintenance could very well push the usage over the
limits for remaining hypervisors/pool.  Check global settings
cluster.cpu.allocated.capacity.disablethreshold and
cluster.memory.allocated.capacity.disablethreshold.  I think their default
value is 0.75 or 75% of total. You can increase these limits, or shutdown some
non-critical instances running on your remaining hypervisors to see if you can
migrate more instances off the hypervisor you are patching.

As a last resort, you could just shutdown the remaining instances and reboot
the hypervisor and restart stopped instances once the hypervisor is back !

Yiping