Hello,

You can deploy from current templates, apply updates then shut down and convert
the root volume to a template and use that. Not the most elegant.
A better way to do it would be to set the templates to update on first boot
(can be done via cloud-init or cloudbase-init) or just employ User Data to
trigger system updates on a per instance basis.

HTH

Nux!
www.nux.ro