Jeff,

Here's the way I look at things when XenServer is the hypervisor, and this
is primary storage specific.

NFS
- NFS mount is created outside of XenServer, and within CS you create
primary storage using that mount. You then effectively bind that primary
storage to a XenServer cluster forming what XenServer refers to as an "NFS
SR". If you look at the configuration from a XenServer perspective, there
is an SR which has a uuid matching that of the CS primary storage.

iSCSI
- If you're using single path without CHAP, then this is very similar to
the NFS case, except that you start with a pre-existing LUN and end up with
an iSCSI SR instead of an NFS one.
- If you're using multi-path or require CHAP, then you setup the iSCSI SR
using the XenServer methods (CLI, API, XenCenter), and tell CS about this
storage using the "PreSetup" option. This gives a bit more flexibility on
the storage backend at the expense of storage being a blackbox to CS

HBA/Fiber
- This is always configured using the "PreSetup" name as CS has no concept
of WWID/WWN.

Storage direct plugin
- This is the SolidFire/NetApp case where those arrays have a special
understanding of CloudStack and expose additional configuration options.

Local storage
- Unless explicitly configured for use with CS, this is unused. Any
existing local storage on a XenServer host when the host is added to
CloudStack will be lost.

In the case of everything *except* PreSetup, I think of managed storage
being one where CloudStack actually configures the host for the storage,
and may optionally configure the storage for CloudStack. In other words, if
I can just consume some storage provided by a storage admin, and other than
configuration within CloudStack it "just works", then that's managed.

-tim