Hi,

you should remove /etc/ssh/*{_key,_key.pub} as one of the final steps
of template creation.
I'm currently not sure if debian's openssh-server init automatically
regenerates the server keys. If not a (to be written) "first-boot' init
should call dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server to get the keys
regenerated.

Anyway, some housekeeping tasks (like removing .bash_history,
/var/log/* ...) should be done anyway during template creation.

Here's what we do after template creation/update:

https://github.com/HeinleinSupport/acs-template-scripts/blob/master/deb
ian8/root/newtemplate.sh