I think the work is mostly performed by the hypervisors. I had seen following
during storage live migration in XenCenter:

Highlight the primary storage for the departing cluster, then select the
“Storage” tab on the right side panel.  You should see disk volumes on that
primary storage. The far right column is the “Virtual Machine” the disk belongs
to.

While the live storage migration is running, the migrating volume is shown as
attached to a VM with the name “control domain for host xxx”, instead of the VM
name it actually belongs to.

To me, this is pretty convincing that Xen cluster is doing the migration.

Yiping