Starting a VM instance will end in error if there is no host suitable for it.
We normally limit number of VM in an affinity group to be one less than the
number of hosts in the cluster.

Let’s say I have 5 instances for my app, and I have 5 hosts in my cluster.  I
will only put 4 instances in an affinity group, and let the 5th instance float.
 That way, if one of my hypervisor host goes down, all 5 instances will still
be able to run on the remaining 4 hosts (assuming all my instances are using a
service offering with HA enabled).