>From an account to a project, it is not possible.
Even between users, it is only possible if users are from the same domain.

The solution you described is the only one I can think of that would work.
Sadly, as you said, it causes a downtime.

If downtime is too complicated for you (e.g. critical systems 24/7), or if
you are feeling adventurous, I would suggest you applying changes directly
in the database. However, that requires a lot of attention, work, and some
planning to do the job properly.

Rafael Weingärtner