You can change the systemvm.iso. Some configurations will not work on
template because the ACS will override them with the iso configurations;
one example is the rsyslog.conf.

When configuring RSyslog in the SystemVM iso you can extract the
cloud-scripts.tgz and find the /etc/rsyslog.conf file. However, configuring
the systemvm.iso is a bit tricky; here are the steps:

1 - find cloud-scripts.tgz in systemvm.iso

2 - Uncompress cloud-scripts:
    "gunzip cloud-scripts.tgz"
    "tar -xvf <file>"

3 - edit /etc/rsyslog.conf

4 - Compress cloud-scripts:
    "cd cloud-scripts"
    "tar -cvf - * | gzip > /tmp/cloud-scripts.tgz"

5 - create the new systemvm.iso:
    "mkisofs -J -o /tmp/systemvm-new.iso /tmp/systemvm-new"

6 - update the new iso as documented in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/SystemVm.iso#SystemVm.iso-Xen

Just be careful. I would first test the new iso in a lab environment and
then use it in production ;)